Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Book Review - Some Girls Bite

I was recently in a car accident and it has given me a lot of time to catch up on my reading! So I thought, why not do a few book review.

I just finished reading a book called Some Girls Bite, written by Chloe Neill. It is the first book in the Chicagoland Vampires series. I am going to be completely honest right up front. I love young adult urban fantasy type stuff. You know, the stuff that most people secretly love, but then once it gets famous complain about how it's horribly written. Such as Twilight and The Hunger Games.

I'm not reading these books for the amazing literature, I am reading it for fun. I don't want to have to think I just want a great escape, something that I can get caught up in and stay up half the night reading.

Anyways... I liked this book quite a bit. The book takes place is the 21st century where vampires in Chicago have recently made it known that they exist. There are four Vampires Houses, all of the vampires must belong to one, or will be rejected from the vampire community. The story is told in the first person, by protagonist the protagonist, 27 year old grad student, Merit.

Here is the summary from the book

“Sure, the life of a graduate student wasn’t exactly glamorous, but it was mine. I was doing fine until Chicago’s vampires announced their existence to the world – and then a rogue vampire attacked me. But he only got a sip before he was scared away by another bloodsucker… and this one decided the best way to save her life was to make her the walking undead.

“Turns out my savior was the master vampire of Cadogan House. Now I’ve traded sweating over my dissertation for learning to fit in at a Hyde Park mansion full of vamps loyal to Ethan “Lord o’ the Manor” Sullivan. Of course, as a tall, green-eyed, four-hundred- year-old vampire, he has centuries’ worth of charm, but unfortunately he expects my gratitude - and servitude. Right…

“But my burgeoning powers (all of a sudden, I’m surprisingly handy with some serious weaponry), an inconvenient sunlight allergy and Ethan’s attitude are the least of my concerns. Someone’s still out to get me. Is it the rogue vampire who bit me? A vamp from a rival House? An angry mob bearing torches?

“My initiation into Chicago’s nightlife may be the first skirmish in a war… and there will be blood.”



My take on this book: I liked it! It had just enough romance to keep me wanting more. And enough action to keep me guessing. I wasn't positive about the identity of the villain until the end, although I had my suspicions!

If you're interested in a funny book that has the perfect amount of action and romance than I definitely recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment